Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Flipped Classroom Case Study

Here's a blog/vlog about the flipped classroom. The flipped classroom is newer concept in education that involves taking the lecture part of class and making it homework by having students watch it via vodcasting at home. Then they have more time in class to do activities and projects and more time for one on one teacher time. I had heard about it through some teachers on my twitter feed and would like to try it out next school year. I made a presentation discussing what it is and the advantages and disadvantages of the flipped classroom. I consider it to be an innovation in teaching. Would you use the flipped classroom?

Check it out-


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was inspiring; I took notes for three pages. I started using videos in my math classes as well, but I can't say my classes are totally "flipped". I use videos during the lessons, and, so far, the main benefits are (a) to have more 121 time with my students, and (b) learning is self-paced. Yet, I have experienced problems, too. And where ever I looked, I only see the advantages of flipped classroom. Your presentation provides me the disadvantages as well, which is relieving in the sense that I am not the only teacher who experiences problems while using videos.
Thanks again.

C. Harun Boke
ATHS - Abu Dhabi

kstrauss said...

I'm glad you liked the presentation. I haven't used flipped classroom yet since one of the issues I face is the socioeconomic factor where many of my students do not have Internet at home. I am going to be to a different district next year and if the students have the means (or I have the resources to make dvd's) then I will try it out. I hope it keeps going well for you!